Bake once a week to lead a happier life!

This blog is here to motivate me to keep baking and to share my journey with the internet.
All recipes are suitable for beginner bakers and vegan because happy human lives should not exploit non-human lives. <3

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Apple Walnut Oat Vegan Pie/Crumble Recipe

I bought one of those big bags of apples and forgot about them for a week or two, so I decided to bake a pie to use them up. I also added some random ingredients from my cupboard that I thought would go well with the apples.

I would definitely make this recipe again. It was very easy to do and the pie turned out very nice; it was slightly sweet and very hearty. I had originally intended to make a pie, but it came out more like a crumble. If I wanted more of a pie-like baked good I'd probably use a different crust recipe that included vegan shortening in it.

The original pie crust recipe from Christy can be found here and the apple pie recipe from Jolinda can be found here. I have modified the apple pie recipe. The pictures above are how my pie turned out! <3

Pie Crust Ingredients

1 cup flour
1/3 cup vegan margarine
3 tbsp water

Apple Pie Filling Ingredients

4-5 large apples
1/3 cup vegan margarine
1/3 cup vegan brown sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 cup crushed walnuts
1 cup rolled oats

Recipe

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly oil one baking pan.
2. Make the crust by mixing the flour and margarine in a medium sized bowl with a fork. Add in the water. It should be able to be spread, but still crumbly.
3. Spread 3/4 of the crust onto the bottom of the pan and keep the rest in the bowl that you put to the side.
4. Skin and cut up your apples so that they are in small chunks 1-3 inches big.
5. Put half of 1/3 of a cup of margarine into a bowl with the apples and mix with a fork until the apples are coated. Pour the apples into the pie pan over the crust.
6. Mix the rest of the margarine, cinnamon, brown sugar, walnuts, and oats into the medium sized bowl with 1/4 of the pie crust recipe. It should be slightly crumbly but a little lumpy.
7. Pour the pie crust mixture over the top of the apples, crumbling it as you go. It should generally cover most of it in a thin layer.
8. Bake the pie for 45-50 minutes, or until the apples are very soft.

1 comment: